Is there a way to emboss ink from a printer? Printing my own Wedding Invites and want that raised look?

by DIY wedding planner on December 12, 2011

DIY wedding invites, want to emboss the ink so it looks like a printer did it. any ideas??

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

sleepsheepnyc December 12, 2011 at 11:22 am

You need a special kind of printer. Your typical laser printer won’t be able to do it. Try going to a place like Kinkos or Village copier (if in NYC) – they usually have the equipment to do it, and it’s still cheaper than sending it to professional wedding invite printers.


Caputimus December 12, 2011 at 11:58 am

Before 10 years there was a Citizen thermal printer available for this task. I never saw the same technology back again.


puzzlefanatic2002 December 12, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Not that I am aware of, how about having rubber stamps made up so you can emboss easily. You can get rubber stamps made up for anything.


chrysalisflower December 12, 2011 at 12:50 pm

how many invitations? I ask because there is a way, but it’s manual. You need an embossing heat gun and the powder from a craft store. once you print the invites, sprinkle the powder over the letters turn on the gun and it will raise. Like i said, this is manual, everyone would have to be done individually.


EE December 12, 2011 at 12:56 pm

If you are using black ink get a clear embossing powder(less mess if it’s your first time using it) and shake it over the text right after it comes out of the printer. You don’t need to heat it right away so you can do 12 or so at a time. Heat with a heat tool until the powder melts and turns shiny. Good luck.


Diane B. December 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I don’t know that “ink” works, but there are at least a couple of ways to do that with a *photocopier* or laser printer both of which use “toner” instead of ink.

Toner is sticky for a short time, so you could apply embossing powder to a photocopy or laser print while it’s right out of the machine… tap off the excess, then heat the embossing powder till it melts. This method is a little chancey though for several reasons.

What you probably want is the way it’s usually done with a photocopier or laser printer though.
And that is to buy “transfer foil” and run a sheet of it through a copier with the paper or cardstock you want to emboss on. The colored foil will transfer onto the paper/carkdstock in any of the areas which were black in the original image you’re copying, because of the heat created in the machine and the sticky toner.
When they come out, just let cool a bit then pull off the foil, and voila.
The foils come in metallics and non-metallics of all kinds… look at office supply stores or online.

You must use a new sheet of foil (or just a different section of the foil) each time you put a cardstock+foil sandwich through though because of course the area of the foil that transferred off before will now be empty (clear, actually, since the clear plastic backing of the foil will still be there).

You could also ask at Kinko’s or a smaller copy outfit how much they’d charge to do the actual transferring for you… they may even have a selection of foils and cardstock there, so you’d need to be responsible only for the printed-out design-text you want to use.

Good luck,

Diane B.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: